Sunday, August 14, 2005

The "Stop the Violence Cookout" Fiasco...

Something's fishy, and I don't mean "Charlie the Tuna"...

By now, many of you have in Greensboro, NC have heard about the low turnout of the annual "Stop the Violence" Cookout a couple of Sundays ago (July 31). I've been to a few of these rallies and it was ALWAYS packed & ALWAYS peaceful. The word is there were over 80 COPS (not the 42 that have been reported) in RIOT GEAR ready to "get down" at the drop of a hat. There were also fire trucks, an ambulance on stand-by, and the streets were blocked off from the location over at Sussman St. Park (right next to The Hampton Homes Projects), effectively killing this always-peaceful cookout.

The GPD basically had the park locked down at a tremendous cost to the city (reportedly between $10,000.00 - $15,000.00).

There were more cops than PEOPLE THERE!!

Why?

If The GPD have beef w/ Timothy X, then so be it, but don't ruin the cookout for everybody else. It's been going on for over 8 years now and NOBODY has EVER been injured at one of these cookouts! It has been reported that Councilwoman Diane Bellamy-Smalls was the one who requested all of those cops. If that's true, don't expect to be re-elected come this fall, Diane! I know that you're already in trouble, politically!

It's truly a f#cked up situation. People go there to eat and have fun, much like the "Kut Kreations" Barbershop's "Community Cookout" on Phillips Ave. this year. Nothing but good food, good music, and great times.

Here's a link to the story, courtesy of local Black weekly newspaper, "The Carolina Peacemaker":
http://www.carolinapeacemaker.com/News/search/Article_Search.asp?NewsID=60393&sID=4

This type of sh*t needs to stop!

LEAVE BLACK FOLKS ALONE!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I get a witness? Yes you can, because I was there at that event! I felt like that entire community was on lock down!

I had my family with me! My family felt totally uncomfortable with the display of force!

I've got some outstanding pics of that cook out. I waiting on X to get himself a blog up!

I glad that you enjoyed yourself at the community cookout that we had on Phillips Ave. We can make the same thing happen all over the world! Peace,Harmony and Unity!

Ken B we're going to have to go out and wake more of our sisters and brothers up!

How many other brothers do you know out there that blogs? Are you going to The Millions More Movement?

Email me by brother I have some info for you!

Monday, August 15, 2005 1:52:00 AM  
Blogger Ken B. said...

I don't know too many brothas that blog, unfortunately.

I wasn't planning on going to the march, not because I don't agree w/ the sentiment, but we need to stop marching on D.C. and start marching into the banks for that loan money that everyone else is getting! Ya feel me?

Oh, as the saying goes, "You got mail!"

Monday, August 15, 2005 7:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home